Tuesday 10 January 2012

Here be Monsters and Mantras

Here be Monsters and Mantras


What a day, its been full of monsters!  When I say monsters, I mean issues, problems and stress!!


Ah, a poor night's sleep is never good, but nothing I could do about it...so on with the day.  Meditation is the first thing I do of a morning, today it was interrupted which wasn't great, but what was worse, was that the interruption became an argument.  Needless to say, it was not a great start.  The next monster was the issue of a tom cat that has decided to target our house in his scent marking rituals, now I'm a lover of animals, but not their smells....especially as it was managing to waft in through letterbox of our front door.  So very soon after getting up, I'm scrubbing the house walls down, inside and out...so I miss my window to do some 'very much needed' yoga.  I'm really feeling the stress now!!! A dog walk is the next job, during which Evie decides it would be great fun to roll in fox poo......yuk! Another clean up operation is needed!  To top it off, I have to deal with some teenage issues.....which always brings tension, as it often ends up with major arguments.  So that's 5 issues or monsters, before the day has even really begun, and I'm feeling frazzled!!!  I know I blog a lot about what I learn....non attachment, letting go, communication etc. etc.  I really, really try my best, but sometimes it gets at me too.  I didn't lose my temper, though at moments I felt like it was consuming me, and I know that it is better out than in, for suppression can cause all sorts of different nasty monsters to come and visit at a later date - better to deal with it all now and move on.


What I did have to release it and re balance it all, was a date with a Mantra group.  This group has been running for some time now, by my yoga teacher, but until now I've not been able to attend due to work commitments. 
Mantras are a word or group of sacred words that are chanted or sung as an incantation or prayer.
I've wanted to go for a long time now, and today was the day....although at this point, seeing people and singing was not where my head was at.  I went though,  and I'm so glad I did!!  Everyone there including the friend that took me, had been before and knew most of the mantras that were chosen, but the printed words were handed out for those who needed them, by our teacher.  All, except two mantras were sung in Sanskrit....which is tricky for pronunciation, but as they were sung in a 'lead and follow' style it was easy to pick them up.  We had the choice to accompany the mantras with percussion instruments, and once the mantras started rolling it was difficult not to start clapping, tapping, shaking, and beating to the rhythm.  The group were given choices about which mantras to sing, and those that were more experienced had an option to lead them too.  After each mantra, there was a short period of silence, so we could reflect and assimulate any feelings that the mantras had invoked, and a moment to share with each other too. Each mantra was beautiful in it's own way, different sounds, different feeling.  As I was new, it took a minute or so during each mantra, for me to settle into it and feel it flowing, but flow it did, and sing I did! 
One of the mantras that really got me singing was a goddess themed one.....the goddess Kali - the Hindu goddess of death, sexuality, black, mother goddess, time and change....she is also the consort of Shiva.
"Om Kali Om Mata Durga Devi Namo Namah"



It was so beautiful.....they all were! 
To finish...just like we had begun, prayers were said, and finally the peace chant which closes all of our yoga classes.  The air was thick with joy, peace, happiness and love.  It was a beautiful experience and certainly seemed to be so for all of us. 
I'm grateful that my yoga teacher offered me the chance to go and my friend for taking me....I'm so glad I went, it not only put my head straight, but taught me something new, and something that I now wish to do more of.  If anyone now asks about mantra I would encourage them to try it, for they will not look back. X


Moon - Waning Gibbous 89%

Yoga - none yet!

Card Message - Eight of Swords (thinking/intellect and mind)
You may feel that you are the victim of circumstances, or of another person.  Confusion, fear and loneliness.  Potential for completion.  Your sense of being trapped may stem from your beliefs or attitude - just as the mind imprisons, so it can set us free.  The hardest situations in life often offer the greatest spiritual rewards.

10th January - Geraint
A day sacred to ninth century bard Welsh bard Geraint, the blue bard of Wales

Gratitude - Mantras



1 comment:

  1. I sang the Om Kali all day after that ... glad you came with. Bliss you Hx

    ReplyDelete